Monday, April 9, 2012

Festival en el Barrio, Tucson Style

I knew it was going to be fun when I saw this bucket just beyond the ticket tent.
They were free and it was hot so I took one and squirted C & B when I caught up with them at the beer tent.
We watched big and small people play big and small chess 
 as we hugged and smiled and admired our recovering and reducing selves.
There's nothing like old friends.

We were at the Festival en el Barrio, a benefit for KXCI, our community radio station.
 It was a beautiful sunny Saturday afternoon, and Tucsonans were out and about.
Typically, it was full but not crowded.
 Roadies are roadies no matter the venue,
but Sergio Mendoza Y La Orkesta are one of a kind.
 In between sets there was time to go to the Animal Farm truck for the best hamburger I've ever eaten and then to return to watch hula hoops in action.
 There were many excellent shoes,
 and even more excellent hats.
But mostly there was Tucson.
The big blue sky, the soft breeze, the heat and the tattoos and the music.
I was recognized and appreciated and hugged and admired.
The admiration still feels odd, but I smile and return the compliments as best I can.
If I have to be associated with anyplace, I'm certainly glad that it is here.


3 comments:

  1. Hey AB, I'm back from spring break. Loved logging in this morning and seeing the great pixs from the festival. LOVE the giant chess pieces. I need to teach my kids how to play chess. It's so much fun. Looks like it was a lovely day.

    Hope all is well with you too. Missed reading your blog every day, but the WiFi in our apartment in Walt Disney World didn't work. :(

    Sending hugs,


    Megan xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear AB, When I turned around at one point I thought it must be you behind me...sorry I did not exactly recognize you! Sweating season has officially begun, with a street dance, yay! The big brown hat with red flowers was me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Missed you, Megan :(
    Glad to see you back and commenting :)

    Oh, Berta, I wish you had said HI.... all manner of folks were greeting me.... it would've been great to meet a denizen!
    a/b

    ReplyDelete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!