Friday, March 15, 2024

St. Patrick's Day

Reposted, with additions.

I know nothing about the origins of the holiday.*  I do know that once the boys made it clear that corned beef and cabbage and boiled potatoes did not hold a candle to pizza, Little Cuter and I began a delicious tradition of eating, ravenously, voraciously, turning to our fingers when that bite eluded the fork.  

I've missed her every March 15th since she went to college.  

Her brother in law brines his own meat, creating three huge trays, each with a different recipe, enough for the family and friends that filled his house.  I'm jealous of the food, but not the public setting.  Part of the joy I take is in the messiness, the pure hedonism, the lack of propriety or respect for anything except getting the tastes into my mouth as efficiently as I can.

I usually use a dish towel instead of a paper napkin.

I am slovenly and unapologetic.

So, for whatever reason we celebrate you, thank you St. Patrick for having a day.

*****

According to the interwebs, this 5th century priest was never awarded sainthood and was either brought to Ireland as a slave or sold a few of his family's slaves to pay his way there.  He probably didn't drive all the snakes out of Ireland, but he certainly used the clover to explain the Holy Trinity.  I'm not sure how the 3 leaves made it to 4 leaves for luck, but there you have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!