Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Eighteen Dollars

Sister is quite involved in getting Andy Kim the Democratic nomination for US Senate in New Jersey.  The machine wants the state's First Lady, Tammy Murphy, to carry the torch in the general election.  

Sister likens Rep. Kim to Allard Lowenstein, the political hero of our adolescence, so when she asked for a donation on our sibling chat, I made my usual $18 donation.  

In Hebrew, where letters serve as numbers, 18 is chai, life in English.  It's a throwback to my parents' generation and theirs before them.  

Apparently, it's ingrained in my family tree.  Brother sent $18 too.

Actually, being who he is, he sent $18.36.  

I get that 36 is twice 18, but otherwise it's a mystery, just as most of the wonderfulness surrounding him is mysteriously charming.  He and sister went back and forth, tossing the missing 64cents between them, and I was back in my childhood kitchen with them, feeling and seeing and smelling it all.

I wonder if G'ma and Daddooooo realized the tradition they created.


2 comments:

  1. It's kind of a "private joke", hard for others to get, but I certainly get the fun you siblings are having with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The treasurer was surprised at the number of $18 donations :-)
      a/b

      Delete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!