Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Springtime in the Desert

The roses are budding 
and blooming.
The container gardens are relishing the cooler temperatures and the bright spring sunshine.
Out in the real world, there are many natural wonders.  
These are the spikiest thorniest scariest little things, with the most beautiful flowers.
The paddle cacti are bursting with color.
Up close, the pollen is very sexy.
Every time I sneeze or put anti-allergy drops in my eyes, I remember the soft stamen and pistils and smile.  

And then, in case I forget that I'm in the desert, there's this:
With all that tasty foliage, one wonders what beastie decided to take that bite.

4 comments:

  1. Who would ever think cacti could be so beautiful? But there you have it. Love them! The pollen is so bad here in DC right now. My older daughter woke-up yesterday morning with her eyes so puffy it looked like someone punched her in both eyes. She does take Flonase, but last night, I told her she needed to take Zyrtec took. I'm suffering too, but not as bad as she is. I felt so bad for her yesterday 'cause she could barely see before she went to school.

    I was surprised that there is pollen in Arizona. Here we always hear about people moving there to get away from the pollen. I guess it's everywhere?

    Thanks for always sharing the lovely pictures with us. I absolutely love them.


    Megan xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The palo verde trees are pollen laden and cause allergic reactions to those unfamiliar with them. All those easterners who brought their flowering plants to the desert- mulberry trees, e.g.- created allergens where there had been none.

      My eyes were swollen and tearing , no contacts for days, and itchy everywhere on my face... just like your kid!
      a/b

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I know.... I know... it was more rhetorical like WTF?!?!?
      Sometimes I'm not as clever a wordsmith as I hope to be <3
      a/b

      Delete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!