Wednesday, October 2, 2024

After listening the world's worst question, the candidates got to it.  Would they approve of an Israeli preemptive strike against Iran was less interesting to talk about than let me introduce myself and blather for a while.  

Tim Walz did not look comfortable.  J D Vance (I read somewhere he's given up the dots after his initials) looked young and somewhat unkempt and smug.  

People were afraid of stepping out of line. Peace through strength.  That was Vance's explanation of his boss's foreign policy.  I'm beginning to shiver.

The moderators lost total control and let Vance pontificate and muted the mics after TBG and I were about to throw pillows at the screen.  Then Vance began spouting nonsense and my shivering got worse, because if you knew nothing about the issue he sounded smart and convincing.  

His answer to the abortion issue was to make women trust Republicans.  

No, I don't understand that, either.

At the first break I could feel most of America tuning out, left with the impression of two white guys arguing.  There was nothing in that segment that would change anyone's mind.  There was nothing new, except Tim Walz lying about being in Tiananmen Square.  (Will this gain traction?)

Health care was a total shit show, with Vance giving Trump credit for saving the ACA, lowering prescription drug prices, and getting Mexico to pay for the wall........ oh, right, that was Vance when the conversation turned to child care and he said that the tariffs will bring in so much money from other countries that the problem will be solved..

There were a few lovely moments when the candidates agreed with one another, giving me some hope that there might be compromise on the child care issue.

Then Vance went on to move smoothly from January 6th to censorship.  Yeah, right, J D, that was all about free speech, all that destruction and death and desecration.  Tim made an impassioned defense of the reality of the situation, calling out the threat to our democracy and laying the blame on Trump's doorstep.  Vance was unable to say that his guy lost the election

And then he said Mike Pence isn't on the stage because he stood up for democracy...... 

Round two to Walz.

Tim Walz's closing argument was upbeat and inclusive.  J D Vance's closing argument was dystopian and smarmy.  

I think that no minds were changed.  Perhaps some voters will be motivated to go to the polls.  For what it's worth, Walz won.

Nicolle Wallace thanked those of us who watched the whole thing with her.  I did it all for you.




3 comments:

  1. I watched the whole thing too. Tim Walz knows how to do things, to get things done. Slick speech doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same way. I'm smart and I had no idea what JD was saying. And he kept calling him TIM...... so rude.
      a/b

      Delete
    2. I was struck by the rudeness of calling your elder by his first name and not title too.

      Delete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!