Tree Trimmers
The mistletoe was killing the trees. Pooped out by birds as they nest or roost on limbs and twigs, the hemi-parasite (kinda sorta a parasite, sucking nutrients from the host, living on top instead of setting its own roots in the ground) infested much of the canopy of most of my trees.
It's too high up for me. I don't go up on ladders any more, nor do I climb up into the tree itself.
It's too sticky and difficult to remove for me. There's white goo oozing from every cut. Tools must be cleaned between excisions to prevent the parasite from traveling. It causes a rash when your fingers brush up against it.
It's been triple digits outside for weeks. The mistletoe has flourished while I wilted and raced indoors.
So, I began the search for reputable tree trimmers. Yelp, friends, Google... they were all recruited in my search. No human I knew could recommend anyone; They showed up on time was the highest compliment I heard. Several requests on Yelp were never returned; someone I never contacted did reach out, though.
Then I found Tucson Tree Doctors.
They responded to my text almost immediately. They could schedule an estimate for the next day. Jason showed up early, answered all my questions, made sensible suggestions, and agreed with me on the aesthetic I was seeking.
He understood that branches falling low to the ground offer shelter for small creatures.
They do not need to be trimmed high enough for workers to walk comfortably beneath them; good gardeners can work around them.
He showed me borer beetle detritus. He recommended fertilization for my citrus tree so it will amaze you. He quoted a price that seemed reasonable. We set an appointment for today, at 8am for a full day's work. They'll end at 1pm, then take the chipped load to the dump and wait for it to be accepted.
They rang the bell at 7:45am. I love it when worker bees are early. There are three of them, all named Ethan. They understood the mission, and got right to it. They are walking around my yard with giant scraping tools
and shears and goggles and helmets.
They are climbing up into the trees, going higher than I'd ever feel comfortable.
They are teaching me, too. Structural Pruning is designed to allow the tree to reach its full height, without pieces sticking out on the side and stunting the growth. This newbie to our yard is finally old enough for that kind of pruning. He should grow to be wide and fluffy over the next few years.I'm having a great time sitting at my desk in air conditioned comfort, watching others work. I offered to clip the low hanging suckers. They insisted on doing it themselves.
Consider this a completely positive review. And yes, they assured me, it's not a joke. They are all Ethans.




Oh, how I wish your Ethans could come to California. Our long-time, extremely well trusted tree trimming company has closed up shop, retired. I understand they sold the company and all the trucks and equipment to another company, but I know nothing about it. Tree trimming is an art and a science and it must be licensed, well insured and bonded! This is extremely dangerous work, and your homeowner's insurance will not cover it should something go awry, unless your own building is damaged in the process, and even then...
ReplyDelete