Live and Let Live
They are beautiful to look at. They are also good to eat. Just ask the two little migratory fellas who were munching on the leaves, hanging on when the winds blew and the rains began, dining at my buffet. Of course, they flew away as I attempted to sneak up on them for a photo op. But the results are evident.
As I explain to the scholars in Grandma's Garden, leaves are little factories. They take the oxygen from the air and the nutrients sent up from the roots and create the fuel for the plant to flourish. It's a juicy, sweet, ongoing process.
The birds drink it up like a juice box, causing the rest of the stalk to wither and die.
I suppose I could prune it all back and wait for its rejuvenation. But the little birds are only here for a short while. They found this diner all on their own, and have claimed it entirely. Why would I deprive them of sustenance?
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Although the first photo is stunning in real life, the last one makes me smile just as much. In a world where so much damage is being caused by thoughtless thugs, I like knowing that my little corner of the world is providing sustenance to those in need.
It's too hot to go to the school garden right now. Instead of nurturing little minds, I'm nurturing traveling avian visitors. It's not much. But it's something. And that, my friends, feels wonderful.
*****
The grandkids leave this morning so I'll have time to type .... and that's the only good thing about their departure.




I love feeding nature. Our plants do a lot of that. I also put out organic dried fruits and nuts for squirrels and birds. My next door neighbor has fabulous bird feeders as well as plants that feed the wildlife. I cringed yesterday when I saw a neighbor across the street spraying weed or insect killer around her front yard. I wanted so badly to run over there, screaming, "You're killing the wildlife, STOP!" But I remained behind my window, just watching and shaking my head.
ReplyDeleteThe commercial landscapers trim the trees high enough so they can walk beneath them. That deprives the little creatures of shade and leave in which to nibble. My yard may look unkempt to them, but it's a paradise for the native animals.
Deletea/b