Thursday, February 16, 2017

Deja Vu All Over Again

"What did the President know, and when did he know it?"

I've been trying to hold it together, immersing myself in reading aloud to kindergarten kids,  but I've had enough.  The New York Times is not fake news.

You can argue if Flynn was a rogue actor or if the President has any idea what a two-state solution actually means or if Jeff Sessions can possibly oversee an impartial inquiry but one thing I cannot countenance is calling The New York Times fake news.

"Don't do anything you wouldn't want printed on the front page of The New York Times" was Daddooooo's mantra.  When The New York Times ran a bold headline that fact was reported by other outlets.  Having your wedding or death reported there in anything other than a paid advertisement signified something.... I'm not sure what, but it was something.  A friend counts their publication of his Letter to the Editor as a milestone achievement in an otherwise quite successful life.

Everyone makes mistakes and there have been errors and there is certainly a bias but please, Mr. President, do not call The New York Times fake news.  You grew up in New York; you should know this in your bones.  As a 6th grader on Long Island, my Uncle Abby explained "yellow journalism" to me by reading the New York Daily News and the New York Post aloud. They were not The New York Times.

Besides, while we're obsessing over who's running the asylum, the world is going to hell in a hand basket.  I wish I felt confident that someone was actually in charge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!