Thursday, August 14, 2014

Random Thoughts - The Grandmother Edition

I hold her for hours.  She's peaceful on my chest, or on her father's chest, or on my daughter's chest. Sometimes, if I'm lucky, I can align her heart right over my own.  Hers is strong and fast and deep. Mine is nearly bursting.
*****
Little Cuter and her fancy camera take much better pictures than the in-hospital photographer.  I think the difference is that her lens is using the love filter.

We place FlapJilly on different blankets and quilts thrown not-quite-carelessly over the Boppy pillow and her mother coos at her and her furry brother nuzzles her and I can't get enough of it.

It's okay.  My own personal Annie Liebovitz takes two or three hundred shots at a time.  We have lots to choose from.
*****
When Big Cuter was a newborn, the 1-hour-photo-shop offered a free 5X7 print every month. To its regular customers, new parents all, this was a godsend.  We had validation for our photographic mania, proof that the money we'd spent on those expensive Nikon SLR's with the telephoto lenses were worth every penny.

Our only choice in the matter was glossy or matte finish.

I've spent the last two weeks watching my daughter work her Mac Magic on FlapJilly's portraits.  It's free ... it's easy ... it's fun ... and the results are beautiful.
*****
Everyone's grandchild is perfect.  I accept this.  As TBG opines, the bigger the amplitude of the situation, the more intensely individual the response is.  There is no room for judgment; there is only acceptance.

Still, I can't help bragging, just a little.  I can't resist sharing her photos on my phone with cashiers and fellow patrons.  I come home and tell her about my adventures.  She doesn't seem to mind being the center of all this attention.

That's a good thing.  I have no intention of stopping.
*****
The kids came home from the first appointment with their chosen pediatrician, and they were beaming.  "Look how good she looks!  Look at her color!" Those were the first words the new parents heard.  It only got better from there.

At the end, she told them that whatever they were doing seemed to be working; her only advice was to keep on doing it.

It's like getting straight A's ... and knowing you'd been rewarded for putting in the hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!