Monday, June 18, 2012

Random Thoughts

My e-cation was a blessed relief from the superpac ads which bombarded our airwaves in the days leading up to our special election on the 12th.  I had hoped for substance; what I got were slogans.  I absented myself from the television except for bits and pieces of the occasional basketball game.  Commercials were muted, but the visuals were still there..... like these two items, following one after the other...with big bold letters linking Ron Barber to Barack Obama and then... with nary a pause... came Cannibal's Girlftriend Speaks/Live at 10.

I went back to my novel.
*****
I understand why Little Cuter refused to leave the womb, necessitating knives and surgery and many interesting drugs that morning in May.  Watsu, an acquatic massage experience which takes place, at Canyon Ranch, in a domed and decorated space created to provide as relaxing an experience as I have ever known.

At first, it was a little up-close-and-personal for me.  My inner-New-Yorker rebelled at being cradled in someone's arms.  But that feeling was lost in the wonderfulness of being floated and stretched and turned and rotated and learning that my hip joint really can move in ways that I thought were unreachable.

It took all my will and effort to leave the pool.  I get it, Little Cuter... I really do.
*****
I'm listening to the brouhaha over President Obama's first step toward the Dream Act and I'm wondering.  Perhaps I'm over-thinking it all, perhaps it is anyone-but-Obama as TBG insists, perhaps there's a piece that I'm missing, but still....
How can you be unwilling to pay for education and health care for the undocumented when you are willing to pay for your fellow countrymen who are unwilling to buy their own health insurance?   Is it that the costs of the uninsured are less obvious... that wading through medical bills for major (and minor) procedures is an exercise in futility... or do you just not like the other?
*****
Sitting on the front porch of our suite at Canyon Ranch, TBG asked me if I had walked back there.... and I started to think.... shouldn't it be forth and back instead of back and forth? 
*****
Did you know that the simple act of lowering your shoulders away from neck can lower your blood pressure?  Biofeedback at The Ranch (as we afficionados call it) proved it to me.  Resting my elbows on the padded armrests of a very comfortable desk chair allowed me to slump into myself.  Placing my hands on my knees, bringing my shoulders away from my earlobes and thinking about inhaling and exhaling made the sensors attached to my fingers register relaxation.

I felt at peace.

Give it a try right now, denizens.  Put your feet on the floor, your hands resting comfortably palms up or down on your thights, and breathe.......

We'll be here when you get back, I promise.
*****
Bunionella and Honch are driving in from points east to spend a day or two before continuing on their road trip.  My plan was chilled wine and snacks poolside, followed by barbequed tri-tip and veggies.

The rain started at 3pm and shows no signs of leaving.  The lightning show is magnificent..... I wonder what I'm going to feed them..........
*****


 

6 comments:

  1. Tried to do the exercise, but still cannot breath. :(

    Hopefully, I will be able to do it soon.


    Megan xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer colds are the worst, Megan... and this seems like a doozy for you. I'm sending you clear-lung-vibes :)
    a/b

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you know my neck muscles were yelling at me this morning? Thanks. Healing breaths appreciated. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re: your Watsu experience...

    Do you remember the 1970s-era board game "Group Therapy"? Players took turns drawing a random card from a deck, and performing whatever the card said to do; they were then rated "Cop Out" or "With It," and based on the net score moved forward or back on the board.

    A bunch of us New Jersey types were playing it and possibly the most repressed guy among us (amazingly, not I!) drew a card which said something like, "Turn to the person on your right and let him/her cradle you in his/her arms. Go with the experience." Everyone else was relieved that THAT guy had drawn it, of course, but not so relieved as to give him any "With Its" when he completely refused. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, Sharon... so glad a little CR love could ease your aches and pains.

    And JES, it was exactly that east coast personal space issue that gave me the willies at first..... Happy Birthday, btw :)
    a/b

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhh feel better! Love reading your posts. xo

    ReplyDelete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!