Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Thoughts on bin Laden

A 911 first responder, a man who also lost a son at Ground Zero, was the featured speaker on one of the television shows to which TBG and I have been glued since Sunday night.  He was well-spoken and inoffensive and presented a valid viewpoint.  But why was he there at all?  Why were his words on the political situation in Pakistan considered valuable?  Did his closeness to disaster confer intelligence or insight upon him? 

I've asked myself this question quite often since January 8th.  Why did the AP want to sit on my couch and watch the State of the Union with me?  Why would I care to comment on the launch of Endeavor?  Who would be interested in what I had to say?  And if someone were to be interested in my opinions I want to know why.  My brush with bullets didn't make me any more learned or worthy.  I'm just a name with which to entice viewers/readers.
*****
 thanks to flickr.com for this image
This picture in the Situation Room fascinates me.  We're watching people watching a screen and it's frustrating.  I want to see what they are seeing.  They are so intense. 

The talking heads seem to need to comment about Hilary's hand over her mouth.  I'm not sure why, but they do.  It doesn't seem so odd to me.  There are young men in danger and she's a mom.  She knows they don't want her yelling at them to be careful, but she can barely stop herself so she covers her mouth.

Been there.  Done that.  Love this.
*****

Gotta wonder how long it will be until the Geronimo EKIA bumper stickers appear.
*****
My favorite part of the whole she-bang is that the President asked for air-time on all 3 networks and then kept them waiting for nearly an hour. The talking heads began to blather, there were several false starts, and time was passing.  No one was really harmed..... except Donald Trump, whose Celebrity Apprentice was pre-empted by the gutsiest move by a President in recent memory.

Barack Obama was capturing terrorists while our favorite carnival barker was sidelined, a graphic being rescheduled on the banner rolling underneath the grown-ups talking about grown-up things.

It was a lovely sight to see.
*****

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link, Megan. I read, I thought, I commented. I agree with you - enough about OBL. I'm moving on to revel in the fact that nearly 60% of Americans "would never vote for" either The Donald nor Sarah P. Perhaps sensible thought is reappearing in our world?!?!
    a/b

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed it was! He one-upped Trump in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not sorry Osama bin Laden is dead, but I am very distressed at the celebrations of college students on my own campus and elsewhere. It is one thing to be relieved that he is gone, but it's another to party and chant nationalistic slogans. I am having trouble getting past this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. An understanding, a rise, a very good guide can certainly make a man or woman to raise that quality, thanks for your time designed for writing, Most definitely i'll with care investigate the products to help make by themself full!
    chi flat iron
    cheap chi flat iron
    chi hair straightener
    wholesale chi flat iron
    wholesale chi hair straighteners

    ReplyDelete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!