Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Happy Valentines Day

I spent the last few months watching mothers with their daughters and missing my own Mommy.  Finding this old post was like finding a hug. 

Happy Valentines Day from my heart to yours.  

*****

This happened on Valentines weekend 12 years ago.   I remember it as if it were today. 

Shockingly, G'ma was willing to forgo her post-prandial nap and accompany me to Target.  I hustled her into the car before she could change her mind.  We admired the clouds and she told me I was driving too fast and not stopping for the yellow lights and following too closely and she was my mother again, except for the clacking dentures. Be careful what you wish for, I guess.


There was an electric cart in the unloading area next to the handicapped parking space and it was calling her name.  She's still got left and right implanted in her memory bank, so directionality wasn't an issue.  She took a turn or two too closely, but the t-shirts didn't seem to mind the little bit of sway she put into their hangars.  Humans managed to get out of her way, and her enjoyment of the scene washed away frowns before they could be formed.  We chose Valentines Day cards and bought mini-packs of tissues for her purse and we giggled over but didn't purchase any of the soft pink socks with hearts that were tempting me at the register.  Sorry, Little Cuter........

Pie wasn't nearly enough lunch for me, so I suggested ice cream.  "Drive faster!" was her reply, so I did.  There's a new Dairy Queen in the neighbrohood and that's where we headed, $5.01 bringing us her sundae (all chocolate....did you really have to ask?) and my strawberry milkshake and more napkins than we needed.

Sitting there in the parking lot, sipping whipped cream and watching chocolate sauce melt into chocolate soft serve, feeling the warm breeze on my bare arms, I was 10 years old again, in the drive-thru with Mommy.

It felt really really good.

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful memory. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I have the opportunity to record and revisit those times.
      a/b

      Delete
  2. This is such a happy memory🩷

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't love you more. Knowing you knew her....
      a/b

      Delete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!