Tuesday, October 3, 2023

All These Shots

We had appointments for flu and RSV and COVID injections late on Friday afternoon; we blocked out the weekend in anticipation.  The last time our physicians advised us to protect ourselves, it took two days to recover from the protection.  

Our emails and text messages informed us that afternoon that they didn't have the COVID vials.  They told us not to come, but to call if we wanted more information.  Of course, I called.  

Turns out that corporate CVS allocates the vaccine supply, and the individual pharmacies never know when or how much they'll receive.  Call back on Monday and check and see was the best she could offer.  

We're traveling to Indiana in a couple of weeks.  We don't have time to call back and take a chance.  I checked on the Walgreen's website, but they weren't scheduling anything at all.  Then, I went grocery shopping.

They have a small sign encouraging vaccination at their pharmacy.  The lovely pharmacist was happy to help.  There were several people ahead of me, so I did my shopping and got back just in time to slide into the chair.  Two jabs in one arm and two band aids later, I was on my way after making an appointment for TBG on Wednesday.

I was worried that I'd be overwhelmed with antibodies.  I planned to spend the weekend moaning on the couch.  But with Advil and Aspirin every 6 hours I was completely functional.  My arm hurt, a little.  I had a bit of gastrointestinal distress, but only a bit.  I was tired, in a body fighting to maintain equilibrium way, but I never felt really sick.

I fell asleep in the nine o'clock hour Friday and Saturday, and slept hard both nights.  But I can't say that I had much of a reaction to all this healthiness, not much at all.

Is my body so used to the COVID virus vaccine floating around in my cells that it welcomes this new iteration as an old friend?  TBG asked if I needed my COVID shot sheet; the thought hadn't crossed my mind.  The hard copy must be somewhere; CVS's computer and the picture on m phone could be used as evidence, it anyone cared any more.

The RSV serum stung when the pharmacist pressed the plunger.  I had to apologize for my language.  But that was the only really awful part of the whole thing, and it only lasted a few seconds.  

This staying healthy stuff is getting a little out of hand.

8 comments:

  1. Good for you getting all three fall vaccinations in you, especially with the trip to Indiana in the works! We have done the same and gotten all three shots, but had some of the same problems getting them. Only sore arms and a bit of tiredness as side effects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had our sixth COVID vaccine in May so I'm waiting until November, a month after the flu shot, to get the next iteration of this vaccine. Maybe by then all the supplies will be settled and it will be easier to get it. I'm trying to figure out a day in October to get our flu shots as we have lots of activity in the month, and like you, I like to give myself some downtime after the vaccine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flu was harder on me this year than ever before. Who knows?
      a/b

      Delete
  3. WE haven't done our vaccinations yet. Now that it's October it's time to get them on the calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You might want to try Costco or Safeway for future vaccinations. Easy to sign up and they seem to have no issues obtaining and maintaining a supply of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that's why Albertson's had it.... both Safeway and Albertsons have been swallowed by a behemoth mega-store and I never remember who or which way it goes.
      a/b

      Delete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!