Friday, September 22, 2023

SPORTS

There are months at a time where there is no football.  While TBG feels the loss acutely, I only notice that I have fewer opportunities to take out my hearing aids and nestle in my chair with a book, content that my spouse is occupied with something that makes him just as happy.

But then August rolls around and there is pre-season nonsense, which I feel quite justified in dismissing.  I try not to schedule events when there are games, but I don't worry when I do.  Once the regular season starts, though, all bets are off.  

There are windows of opportunity which suit us both.  There's always the DVR.  We get by, just as we have for 50 plus years.  There was a wonderful interlude when Big Cuter shared our living space and occupied the pillow next to his father on Sundays.  He was a Bears fan, then a 49'ers fan, and, like his dad, he tried not to miss any of their games.  

Once he moved away from home, they spent Sunday afternoons and Monday nights and then Thursday nights analyzing, arguing, laughing on the phone.  

Queen T entered our lives and I had a compatriot at last.  She was learning and caring and paying more attention than I was, but even in her natural state of once I decide to care, I care a lot!! she often joins me in the can we talk about something else space.  We say SPORTS in stentorian tones, laugh, and leave the boys to their pleasure.  

Then Honey Bunny arrived.  

She has her own spot on the boppy pillow, next to Big Cuter, so she can eat and watch the game at the same time.  There's room for Queen T, too, and they are both very glad to see her when she joins them after doing whatever she was doing that was not football.

What goes around, comes around.

4 comments:

  1. I think sports have gotten out of control for sheer cost of watching. What is this about buying a ticket to watch a game on your own TV??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please! How can I watch this has become our new slogan....ugh.
      a/b

      Delete
  2. Olga brings up a good point!
    I do enjoy my Sounders soccer and Seahawks football.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I , too, drop in and out on my favorite teams....like lst night's Notre Dame/Ohio State thriller.
      a/b

      Delete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!