Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Living in the Wash

Taos Bubbe and I have started walking the Chuck Huckleberry Loop again.  We start early in the morning, before it's too hot.  The path goes behind office complexes and apartments sprawled over paved lots, separated from the path by fencing, or low border ledges, or sometimes nothing at all.  Large trees shade the path and provide screening for the residents and worker bees.

Underneath those large trees, on the grassy verge between exercise and real life, there are tents.  There are bbq's and lawn chairs and laundry lines.  There are fire pits and piles of beer cans.  There are people engaged in meaningful conversations with invisible interlocutors.  

When there are others on the Loop, we continue walking past the encampments.  When there's no one else around, we turn back.  We are sympathetic to their plight.  We are also scared out of our wits. 

Yesterday there were tree trimmers clearing the overhanging branches sheltering one of these gathering spots.  Nestled against a chain link fence, shaded by the Desert Willow, lives were on full display as the workers chopped and security personnel from the neighboring apartment complex looked on.

One gentleman was almost through packing up his life.  A grandma shopping cart (the kind little old ladies take to the store then shlep behind themselves on the way home)
was surrounded by a colorful plastic storage tote or two
and several oversized shopping bags (think IKEA size).
The man himself was neatly dressed.  His belongings were secured with bungee cords.
I have all these items at home.

So did he.

Something is not right.

8 comments:

  1. I am always saying, what would I do if I had to leave my home? Where would I go? How would I live?

    I have one those carts, it's actually the second one since I retired in 2010, I wore out the first one. The wheels literally fell apart. The new one is a bit fancier, with an extra basket on the back side. But, I don't have the tubs or bungee cords. Maybe I could scrounge some up if I had to leave home. I'm hopeful it won't ever come to that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How would I live? That's what we wondered on our walk.
      a/b

      Delete
  2. Having these things at home separates us from those for whom these things are home. I have such mixed emotions when I see these encampments. You must too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Housing First is a solution, but making people accept help... that's the problem.
      a/b

      Delete
  3. We have similar encampments here in Bloomington. The city is working hard to pass ordinances and regulations making it illegal for the inhabitants to use tents or gather belongings anywhere public, even during the day, but doing next to nothing to help the most desperate. It makes me heartsick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like when Tucson cleared the park by the Justice Center. The symbolism was striking.
      a/b

      Delete
  4. A very thought-provoking post. Like others here I wonder how I would live should I become homeless. I would not have any idea how to do so. I ride the Chuck Huckleberry Loop almost every day when I am in Tucson and I am reminded that this country has no safety net for those unfortunate folks who end up homeless for a variety of reasons. It just makes me sad. Just awful to see a person with their entire life in a shopping cart.

    ReplyDelete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!