Friday, January 11, 2019

The Issue of The Scarecrow

The kindergarten scholars did the best they could with the supplies I provided.
Even then, the scarecrows had structural issues.
Now, after suffering the depredations of an Arizona winter, they were muddy, barely upright, and seriously deflated.  For the first Garden Club of 2019, I tasked the bigger kids with their repair.

Do not take Tom's head to fill Jerry's chest cavity! is certainly one of the strangest sentences I've ever uttered. 

And yes, the two scarecrows are apparently named Tom and Jerry. I didn't even know that cartoon was still on tv and I can't keep track of which one is which and the kindergarteners were supposed to name them.  I've decided not to argue.  
Anyway, no harm no foul.  And, the thief gifted him a bulging bicep
 .... as penance? 

We created a skeleton for his standing- by-the-mandarin-orange-tree-comrade out of found scraps and re-purposed trellis pieces, and I re-pinned and un-tucked at Jimena's direction.  She was quite certain that putting the flannel shirt inside the waistband of the jeans was misguided, a fashionista's nightmare, 
and, of course, she was right.

There was much hilarity once we got Jerry (or maybe he's Tom) firmly planted. (warning: there's sound!)
 
and, as always, I left Garden Club with a smile on my face and love in my heart.

And then, typing this, I laughed.
There she was, another 9 year old girl who knew how to make the most out of an outfit.      
  
I get so much more than I give.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!