Thursday, July 19, 2012

A Companionable Silence

G'ma and I went out for ice cream last week.  There were new glasses to be picked up from Dr. Le and hibiscus to be purchased at Rillito and the weather was down to double digits.  The timing was right.

I arrived at the pod-castle while the residents were finishing up their desserts.  Hot coffee and fresh baked cake; my mom could have been sitting at a diner, sharing a meal with friends.  But, the facts are that these friends replay the same conversations over and over again and she has no idea what their names might be or how she came to be sitting at the table with them.... and, the most important fact, she doesn't seem to mind.

"Who are they?  Who knows?! They're pleasant company.... at least I don't remember them being unpleasant."  Such is the wonderfulness that is my maternal unit.

She greeted me by name.  From then on, everything else was gravy, sauce on the sundae, the cherry on top.  The married couple wanted to know where I was going and why.  The lady G'ma sometimes recognizes as someone she's seen before complimented my necklace.  I rambled on about gardening and the up-coming wedding and we all took a moment to notice that the giant clock on the wall of the dining room was, for the first time in several years, actually telling the correct time.  It was no longer perpetually 2:20.

I kept to myself the narrative arc which wondered why an environment which served a confused clientele would leave a confusing landmark in place.  I figure that since this is the major complaint I have about my mother's care I am pretty lucky and should just keep this one to myself. 

Coffee finished, we said our goodbyes, promised to be back for her 2 o'clock pill. "And if I'm late, what will happen? Will I keel over at 2:01?"  She may be forgetful, but she's still the woman I used to know as Mommy.... at least every once in a while.

Yes, we get our eye care at Wally-World and I couldn't be happier.  Dr. Le hugged me from behind as I stood atop G'ma and her new eyeware.  The doctor tossed a little grief our way, wondering why it had taken us three weeks to pick up the new, slightly stronger, pair.  G'ma liked her new, smaller pair of specs, though the right side seemed "unbalanced.... kind of smoky."

I knew that was the glaucoma which Dr. Le had found for the first time last month.  With a somewhat stronger prescription, the world looked clearer to her... except where it was not.  There's a surgical correction, of course, but we're not fooling around with anesthesia and a nearly 90 year old woman any more.  By the end of the day, she'd forgotten to mention it, anyway.  It will become her new reality and as long as she can see my face and the television there's no need to worry.... at least that's what the doctor and I decided, with her agreement. Her "NO surgery!  I can see just fine!" was dispositive as far as we are concerned.

We strolled the aisles and bought toothpaste and denture cream and candy bars, all to her preference.  Some things you just don't forget, it seems... things like Colgate not Crest and Baby Ruth's not Pay Day bars.  Loaded up the car, chocolate in the cold pack, and drove through the drive-through at Dairy Queen.

A strawberry milkshake makes a perfect lunch for me.  Fruit and calcium... mmmmmmmmm.  G'ma, of course, (chime in here, grandchildren), had chocolate in a cup with chocolate sauce... as always.  $5.01 in cash and we were outta there, parked under the only scrap of shade I could find in the parking lot, facing the busy main street.  We had the a/c running and our seats practically shaded and we watched the cars go by, slurping and spooning in total contentment.

She's a slow eater of ice cream, my mother.  She's deliberate and precise and she doesn't like it when drips occur.  There's a method to her madness.... always has been.... always will be... and I love it.  We were each absorbed in the moment, with no need to talk.

" This, I think, is what they call a 'companionable silence',"  I said. 

"Yes, it is," she said and she smiled and she put another carefully assembled spoonful into her mouth and I smiled at her clacking dentures and her frozen chocolate tongue and at the fact of her sitting there next to me and, right then and there, we knew that life was good.

7 comments:

  1. Wally World is the C super club right? If so, that's where I got my new glasses from. I looked at tons and tons of glasses and they had the ones I liked. I like their optical dept. They always have the nicest people working there.

    I laughed at the symbolism of the clock. ;)

    Gosh, is it already Thursday? Took the day off to tackle more closets.

    Have a good one.


    Megan xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a wonderful post and makes me realize and appreciate how fortunate I to have my parents both with me right now. Yes, it is exasperating at times but there is so much about that that I just adore...like your mother's precise eating of the ice cream.

    I also appreciate the wonderful idea of a Strawberry milkshake for lunch...I've already made up my mind. You may or may not have heard but here in the mid-west we have been dealing with temps more familiar to you in Arizona then to us here in Michigan though today is calling for a more moderate 93 degrees but with 74% humidity it feels pretty awful.

    Thank you for reminding me how grateful I am for my Mum/Dad...`

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep at those closets, Megan! (Wally-World is Walmart, btw). I'm working on my desk today.

    Welcome back thormoo...and your exasperating but THERE parents. Enjoy your milkshake lunch - cool innards make up for boiling weather, I promise!
    a/b

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne Fulton CavettJuly 19, 2012 at 10:38 AM

    Made me cry. As usual. ;)
    Going to call my mom for ice cream outing. Now, not later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mom is SUCH a special woman, Annie. I love seeing the two of you together.... or thinking about you two eating ice cream today <3
      a/b

      Delete
  5. it is really my hornor to have a watch your blog,it is definitely great. Diablo 3 Gold
    Diablo 3 Gold kaufen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zunächst wählen diablo 3 gold kaufen Schmied und Bergbau als Berufe. Um ein Tank, braucht man eine gute Bodenfeuchte eingestellt. Als Schmied, können Sie gute Rüstungen und Waffen von sich. Und Schmiede, um Erz aus dem Bergbau verwenden müssen, so Bergbau ist eine ausgezeichnete sekundäre Klasse. Das zweite ist Ghost Pilze. Diese sind sehr gefragter Artikel für Kräuterkundige und kann Tonnen im Auktionshaus als auch diablo 3 gold geben verkauft werden. Es gibt zwei Orte mit wenig oder gar keine Konkurrenz, wo man frei versammeln können diese lukrative Pilze. Der erste Platz ist der Mauradon, und das zweite ist der Skull Rock Cave im Hinterland. In WOW ist der Warrior-Klasse sehr berühmt. Da der Warrior-Klasse ist die beste Nahkämpfer Charakter im Spiel, und sie sind die primären Tanks in jedem Raiding Team. diablo 3 günstig Um die besten DPS Charakter und die primären Tank, brauchen sie eine bessere Rüstungen und Waffen.

    ReplyDelete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!