Friday, December 10, 2010

Some Gifts for You

This is the season of sharing.  It is also the season of overwhelmed givers of gifts.  I plead guilt to being one of them right now.  It's after dinner and I've been running all day and I have not had a thought in my head.  Not just a thought worth sharing.  Literally, there have been no thoughts.

So, I have decided to introduce you to some of my favorites here in the blogosphere.  I've mentioned some of them before, but today I am giving you links to some of my favorite posts on some of my favorite sites. I hope you enjoy them as much as I have.
*****
John Simpson's blog is writerly.  Although there is the occasional lagniappe, most of his posts are nice, long, settle-back-in-the-couch-and-get-comfortable reads.  He has a few recurring themes, but the musical posts are my favorites.  Everyone knows the melody
to Smoke Gets in Your Eyes, but JES knows the story.  Click on over and you will, too.
*****
Joann Mannix is a famous blogger, and yet she finds the time to stop by The Burrow to visit.  Her posts are long and funny and honest and transcend generational boundaries.  Read sentences like these, written to her 16 year old daughter on the occasion of her first date
I know you won't believe any of what I'm telling you because you think I entered the world as a mom driving an SUV littered with smashed up goldfish crackers and half empty bottles of Gatorade.
But the thing is, I too, once cared more about my hair than the state of the world.
 and you'll see why both Little Cuter and I love her.  Plus, she has the best blog name ever: Laundry Hurts My Feelings .
*****
100 Proof Stories are small, intoxicating stories of 100 words or less.  My favorite category is Kind of True, where you find gems like Words as Volatile as Dynamite.  But don't overlook Overheard  and Not So True either.  When I need a break from my own verbosity The Inadvertent Gardener is my go-to-girl. 
*****
And then, of course there are my stalwarts, my touchstones, my first two clicks of the morning.

Time Goes By's Ronni Bennett is who I want to be when I grow up.  She's personal and political and crotchety and I love her.  Every day is different, if you're not turned on today, go back tomorrow and see what's there then. 

Nance Meeker's Mature Landscaping is a slice of life with a hippie and a fighter pilot living in Myrtle Beach and, for a while, in San Diego.  There are families and photographs and philosophy and research ... lots and lots of research... Nance's finger in the dike as the world goes to hell in a handbasket.  And we're not really enjoying the ride, are we?  It seems that we were separated at birth; our lives have twisted and turned in remarkably similar paths.  She's my BFF - Blog Friend Forever.  If you like The Burrow, you'll love the landscape over at Nance's place.
*****
Have a wonderful weekend, denizens.  Thiu-who-owns-my-fingers painted a Christmas Tree With Lights on each of my ring fingers this afternoon.  I tried to take a picture for you, but it's so sparkly that my Nikon was defeated.  You'll just have to use your imaginations. This is so not me...but then, again, it's so me.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you -- and I am going to immediately start clicking away. Just know -- you are always on my Must Read list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know most of these folks, but I'll be checking out the ones that are new to me. Keeping that finger in the dike and thank you! And the Christmas Trees on your fingertips? Who knows anymore what's "me" and what ain't; makes it all a bit more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my. I don't know what I should be more excited about -- the shout-out, or the honest-to-God Blogger comment box. :) (NOTE: I am NOT asking you to relive any of the horror, the horror, of your recent tech nightmare!)

    But thank you so much for the shout-out, no reservations. That people like you (et al.) can become regulars at the haunts of people like me (et al.) says something very interesting and, I think, very good about the Interwebs. (And Nance? Oh my. That she sent me scurrying over here for the first time will always guarantee her a place in my heart and head, too! If I didn't know better, I'd think she must have had something to do with fostering people's mental health at some point in her life--- oh, wait...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no idea how this comment box appeared nor where my other comments went.... swallowed by the ether no doubt.

    Glad to know that you can all chime in again without waiting for me to acknowledge that I know you:)
    a/b

    ReplyDelete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!