Friday, March 3, 2023

I'm Going to Walk Away

I rescued the Homeowner's Association once before, offering up Fast Eddie to fill the leadership vacuum.  He healed schisms and settled disputes, his folksy charm belying a canny intellect.  He loved doing it as he eased into a full retirement.  The neighborhood thrived under his gentle guidance.  

Then he moved away and, once again, I had a hand in convincing another charming and intelligent person to take on the job.  She's a pleasure to work with, running crisp meetings that end in record time.

Through it all, I've been the Landscape Committee.  My duties involve tending to any egregious excesses.  Lifting the tree impinging on the roadway was my major accomplishment.  Over the past 10 or so years, I've probably spent 2 hours on landscaping issues.  

But I'm done.  I don't want any more meetings in my life.  I don't want responsibilities that don't bring me joy.  I'm embarking on the Adulthood of Old Age, and I want to make the most of it.

The most of it doesn't include my HOA.

2 comments:

  1. I eventually got to the point that I couldn't tolerate any meeting I wasn't running myself, and I didn't want to do that anymore either, so now, no meetings, and not really any classes either.

    ReplyDelete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!