Tuesday, June 4, 2019

A Dry Heat - A Snippet

And this weekend the temperatures will be seasonably warm.

I laughed out loud.  Anyplace else, they'd be opening shelters for the un-air-conditioned elderly.  In Tucson, it's seasonably warm.

That means we look forward to temperatures in the upper 90's, sometimes accompanied by a slight breeze in the late afternoon.  With nary a cloud in the sky, being outside for more than a walk to the shady spot in which you left the car requires a hat and sunscreen and determination.  There's not much shade to be found; the leaves on the desert adapted trees have curled onto themselves, minimizing their exposure to the elements.

It's a wise idea.  At this time of year I remember Sister's friend describing her summer in Tucson:  I can feel my cuticles peeling back into my fingers.  I can feel the air sucking me dry.

I'm not complaining about guaranteed sunshine and weather I don't have to shovel or sweep or slip on.   I'm just explaining the situation.

3 comments:

  1. It is finally hot here in Fresno and I am THRILLED. I love warm wether. The only problem I would have in your neck of the country would be the lack of green . I can irrigate my backyard into a cool, shady oasis to enjoy on these 100 degree days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I soak up the greenery whenever I can. I have a volunteer tree shading my veggies and I stand there and breathe deeply when I need to feel like there is another color besides tan in the world.
      Irrigation in California - always a double edged sword. Those gorgeous plants... those giant utility bills.
      Thought of you yesterday while watching Mayor Pete in your town.
      a/b

      Delete
    2. Yes, Mayor Pete brought another ray of sunshine to our city. I don't know how this will all play out, but it was so delightful to hear a pleasant, smart, funny, kind politician speaking in an agreeable manner.

      Delete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!