Thursday, March 23, 2017

Tucson Festival of Books

Saturday morning, an hour before the first session of the first day of the TFOB, I was comfortably ensconced in the front row, feeling somewhat lonely.
Forty five minutes later, I was feeling the crush.

I listened to Tim Stellar and Joe Conason discuss covering the news in the 21st century.
"It's much harder to print fake news in a print paper than on-line," Conason said.  
"They get most of it right most of the time."  
His advice to the media - "You don't need to repeat every nonsense tweet" - seemed like a delusion, television being the ratings driven business that it is.  But the man used the word tendentious, a lovely, rarely used word, and for that I can forgive a multitude of sins.  

Before I left for Penelope at The Rogue Theatre, I shared a moment with Ron Fournier.  During his love story about his relationship with his son, he shared a fact I know is true:  Michelle Obama is the best hugger!

Sunday morning, bright and early, I sat in the front row of the Science Tent, not ten feet from Dava Sobel, author of the science books I love the most.  Planets is in my powder room.  Gallileo's Daughter, writing from her convent, has sat on my shoulder since she was published in 1999.  
There's a Cornell connection, too; she said that writing for Cornell Science was her favorite job.
I listened, star-struck, and delighted.  I chewed on my Kashi Bar, enjoying my breakfast with her.
It was kinda perfect, denizens.

I had lunch, I wandered through the astronomy exhibits (did you know that the first grad students in astronomy at Harvard were women?) and learned about planets from another Cornellian, finishing her doctorate here at the UofA.  I spent the rest of the afternoon in the Arizonal Daily Star's Main Tent.  You'll have to come back tomorrow to read about that.

2 comments:

  1. I've never been to a book festival. I'm gonna have to see if there are any in the D.C. area.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a wonderful experience; lots of smart people talking about reading
      a/b

      Delete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!