Thursday, June 13, 2013

Thoughts on Sports

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm watching hockey on television.  I drew the line at hockey.  I learned football and basketball and soccer and lacrosse and tennis but I drew the line at hockey.  I'd seen professional hockey as a child; Daddooooo and his brother and my cousin and I sat high up and cold at a Rangers' game, as I recall.  It's not that I rejected it sight unseen.  I saw and I said no.

Yet, somehow, during this drought time in my boys' sports world calendar, I find myself wondering when the next playoff game will be on tv.  My Facebook post, HAWKS !!!, was up and liked by Little Cuter and The Bride before they could post themselves. I was seriously considering asking for a Blackhawk's jersey.

I'm a fair weather fan, there's no denying it.  That doesn't mean I can't enjoy myself.
*****
I don't believe in the NBA.  I know that David Stern is considered the guru of all league commissioners, but there's rarely a game that's worth watching before the fourth quarter, and even then, it doesn't matter if you miss a minute or two.  TBG taught me that basketball is a team sport, a game of finesse and strategy and strength.  What I see today, in the NBA, is tall men looking for their fifteen seconds of fame on Sports Center, hoping to bump and shove and muscle their way to stardom.

It's not that much fun to watch.

Still, I found myself cheering for the Pacers and then for the Spurs and now, more than ever, for the Spurs as they take on the team that was supposed to win several of these championships and which is now down, 1-0, in the series.  

The Miami Heat had an incredible run this season, but that's history.  It's true that a loss is a loss no matter the score, but losing by 36, as the Heat did in Game One, is humiliating.  I admit that I loved every minute of it. 

Why? 

LeBron left Cleveland for Miami and, on behalf of all the family members who live there and loved him, I've found it impossible to forgive him.  The man makes $20 million a year. Triple-doubles should be the expectation.  Imagine if you offered a great principal $20 million dollars; you'd expect excellence in the classroom, wouldn't you?

I'm not saying it's rational.  It's sports.  It doesn't have to be rational.  That's the beauty of fandom.
*****
TBG and I know nothing about hockey. I had to go on-line to find us a definition of icing; I can't say that I can follow the puck well enough to recognize it in action.  In fact, following the puck is often more a sense than an actual fact. TBG listens to the crowd for a sense of who has possession.  We both watch the crowd of players and hope that the puck is somewhere in their vicinity.

Sometimes, though, we're watching the right player just as he cuts and jukes and skates past the defender and SCORE!!s.  It's magical.
*****
The announcer described a small but aggressive player's actions in the same way that we told the less competent recreational soccer players in the Under 8 division what to do: Go out and be annoying.  We know you can be annoying; you have siblings

I guess some things never change.  Sometimes, all you can do is get in their way.
*****
The men who spoke at the press conference were polite, well spoken, wore no hats or jewelry or logo-ed apparel
*****
Another perk of watching sports is the opportunity to judge.  We yell "Shoot the damn puck!" and "Box out!" and wonder if we should suit up, ourselves, and show them how it's done.  The referees need our assistance, except in hockey, where we know enough to defer.

It's a rush unlike any other when I contemplate skating fast, backwards, with a stick in my hand.. and SIR, TBG and The Cuters are by my side.  For that one moment, it's real... and wonderful... and possible.
*****
Triple overtime in the hockey game is the same as the 30 point  blow-out in the basketball game... they both go on forever.
*

6 comments:

  1. The IU baseball team is in the College World Series for the first time in school history! You can watch their first game on Saturday on ESPN. It is on at 8 p.m. Eastern time, earlier where you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the IU coach is NCAA Coach of the Year for creating a program out of sand and dust. WAHOOOOO IU!!
      a/b

      Delete
  2. In 1967 the Phoenix Roadrunners of the WHL became Arizona’s first professional sports team. They played ice hockey at the Arizona Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Phoenix. The Roadrunners were the WHL champions in both 1973 and 1974. The WHL disbanded in 1974, but the Roadrunners became a part of the WHA, and subsequently the Pacific Hockey League. The PHL ceased operations in 1979. My girlfriend and I would go and watch the games. We were in high school and bored and it was one of the few places we could afford to go on our babysitting money. And it was fun! We learned the rules and had our favorite players, cheered like crazy and watched them become champions.
    I too have been enjoying the playoffs and it's great to hear there is a new desert fan. It seems cooler when you are watching ice hockey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is cooler, EllynJ :) I am convinced that's why we watched it! Finding a team you love and having them in your life on a regular basis is one of my great pleasures. SO glad you had that with the Roadrunners.
      a/b

      Delete
  3. I cannot watch baseball or basketball on TV. Bores me to tears. Love hockey though.

    Was disappointed when the Caps didn't keep going in the playoffs. My 11 year-old loves watching hockey too. Told hubby he's going to have to take her to a game.

    Thanks for the tips for feeling better. Doing better today. ♥


    Megan xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get that hubby and daughter tickets for a gift under the tree next year..... one present down and it's only June!

      Glad you are feeling better... hope the kid is, too.
      a/b

      Delete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!